Sunday, September 1, 2013

Kintsukuroi

Kintsukuroi:  the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with gold resin, making it more beautiful in the broken places.

The wound is the place where the Light enters you. (Rumi)

We are all broken and wounded in this world. Some choose to grow strong at the broken places. (Harold J Duarte-Bernhardt)

Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, it's how the light gets in (Lenoard Cohen)

Every culture has their version of this truth.  At least I hope it's a truth because there have been so many broken parts of me I have to believe they had a purpose.  I should qualify as a priceless work of art at this point.  But honestly, I love the image of our brokeness healing stronger and more beautifully than whatever perfection we thought we had before. 

I met with a friend today, someone I love very much and had not seen in about six years.  And I saw in her all the beauty of her life, her joy, her pain, her fears, making her one of the most lovely people I know.  And somehow she sees something of that in me as well. We talked a lot about the broken parts of the last six years.  And  I had this image of us both sitting there on a bench, talking, and shining like the sun. 
     
       
       
         

        1 comment: