Monday, March 25, 2013

Peggy called and said simply:  "your benediction for the evening." 

Peggy was in Winston-Salem the week David died, helping her daugther with her four children during a family crisis.  She drove back on Thursday and she and her husband left on friday to drive with me on a ten hour drive to Pennsylvania for David's first service. Then they drove me home and Peggy drove back to W/S. She came back here on Thursday to help with the second service and left sunday for W/S again.  I don't know how she is doing it and I am eternally grateful for her loving care. 

So my benediction for the evening was her grandson's prayers.  "God bless".....mommy, daddy, nana, etc.  and then from the youngest; God bless David.  Oh my goodness. 

Then the second asked "David's an angel now right?"  and even better, "Can he fly now?" 

Somehow that gives my heart ease today, on this especially difficult day.  I am finally well and truly sick and there has been exhausted stress all around.  And there is an even bigger hole.  I didn't think that was possible.  All these little steps that make it more real, he is not coming back.  Not ever, no matter how much I want it to be different.  There is nothing I can do about it.  I'm not used to not being able to make something different.  This might be the first thing I have had no choice about.  I've often prided myself on being able to make hard choices, choices where others might not even see choices.  I believed that we always have a choice, even facing death we have a choice about how we die.  But there is no choice here.  He is not coming back.  I don't get to choose not to see him, to decide on which terms I see him.  I simply don't get to see him, sit next to him, see him coming around the corner.  I still don't know how I am going to move forward through that.  One step at a time, in the dark, with a small flashlight to illuminate each step, trusting in the light ahead to open up again.  I guess.  That's the best I can come up with right now.

This same grandson  asked when David died, if he was with Jesus now.  And when Peggy told him yes, David was with Jesus he asked "Why does Jesus want all those people to live with him anyway?"  And he drew me a picture of three very fat goats to help me feel better. 

Children always make my heart happy.  And so many children and young people loved David.  I was so glad to see the young adults who came to his services, he mattered in their lives.  Enough that they gave up their afternoon to come honor his life.  I can think of no better legacy than to have children and young adults love and honor you.

So, yes; God bless David. 

No comments:

Post a Comment